The Canadian Government has launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) to
- Improve Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class and highly qualified PhD students, and
- Establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher education.
To be considered for the Vanier Scholarship, you need to demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of academic achievement in Masters’ programs in Engineering, Natural Sciences, Health, Social Sciences or Humanities.
The Canadian Government awards up to 167 scholarships annually. At any time, there are a total of up to 500 students with Vanier scholarships for their PhD programs in various Canadian institutions.
Here are some other key points about this scholarship:
- You should first be enrolled in a PhD program at some Canadian university
- The scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies
- In order to be eligible, there are three equally weighted evaluation criteria: academic excellence, research potential, and leadership
- Candidates must be nominated by the Canadian Institution at which they want to study
- Around 200 students every year get this scholarship to study at the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, the University of Waterloo, the University of Alberta and nearly 100 other institutions
You will be evaluated and selected based on the following three criteria:
#1 Academic excellence, as demonstrated by your past academic results, transcripts, scholarships, awards and distinctions.
#2 Research potential, as demonstrated by your research history, your interest in research, the proposed research and its potential to advance knowledge of the field and its expected outcomes. Your research experience and its impact indicates your potential as a research leader of tomorrow.
You should write about your personal characteristics such as critical thinking, application of knowledge, judgment, originality, initiative, autonomy and enthusiasm for research in your Personal Leadership Statement essay. You should have strong references to validate the same.
In addition, your achievements in terms of collaborations, team work and mentoring would also be counted towards your contributions to research and training of highly qualified personnel.
#3 Leadership, which includes both demonstrated and potential leadership ability. You can demonstrate your leadership ability through:
- Your personal achievement: This includes your involvement and achievements in entrepreneurship, business, science, sports, arts, foreign travel or study.
- Your involvement in academic life: This includes any of your achievements in mentoring/teaching or supervisory experience, involvement in student community, student committee, teams, senate, board etc., organization of conferences, events and seminars, your role in academic or professional societies and project management.
- Your experience as a volunteer for social projects with some NGOs.
- There could be other avenues where you could have demonstrated your leadership abilities.
Your will be evaluated on various leadership attributes including your ability to develop as personal vision for the future that defines a meaningful change for the community or group you work with, establishing clear goals and reaching those goals in an efficient, organized and innovative way, being accountable for consequences of your actions and decisions, curiosity, creativity, courage, dealing with complexity, persuasive, supporting peers, and mastery of presentation skills and public communications.
- July – November: Applicants seek a nominating institution, prepare and submit application package
- November 1, 2017: Deadline for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program
- End of March 2018: Email notification to nominees
- May 1, 2018, September 1, 2018 or January 1, 2019: Payment begins