This unique orange cake recipe makes a nice wedding favor for guests at a wedding. Bake mini loaves, wrap them in pretty paper with ribbon and attach the recipe to it.
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts
1 orange cut into chunks (peel on)
- Prepare your pans by greasing and flouring them.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the sugar, butter and eggs.
- Add vanilla.
- In another bowl stir together all-purpose flour, of baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture, stirring well after each addition.
- In a food processor or grinder, finely grind raisins, walnuts, whole orange.
- Reserve 2 Tablespoons of this mixture for the frosting.
- Add the remaining orange mixture to the batter.
- Spread the batter in prepared pan or pans.
- Bake in a pre-heated 335-350 oven for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack.
- Prepare the orange frosting. In a medium bowl, beat 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar, 2 Tablespoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Add enough sour cream (2-3 Tablespoons) to achieve spreading consistency.
- Stir in the reserved orange, raisin and nut mixture.
Spread frosting on the cooled cake. You will really ENJOY this!!!